Preparing for Your Puppy
This is a very exciting time and we are happy that you have chosen a Hunterberry Hill Labradoodle to join your life! We have compiled a bit of informative information that we hope you find helpful as you prepare to bring your puppy home!
Puppy proofing your home – Australian Labradoodle puppies are very smart and have a great sense of smell thus, you will need to keep a careful watch on what they find to put in their mouths.
Here is a list of items to be sure are not anywhere accessible to your puppy/dog
- Home insect products
- Anti-inflammatory medications (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc)
- Sugarless chewing gum – the artificial sweeteners are toxic to dogs
- Any prescription medications
- Fabric softener sheets
- Laundry detergent packets
- Dishwashing detergent powder and packets
- Pencils and pens
- Lighter fluid
- Tobacco products
- Alcoholic beverages
- Cat litter box and other animal feces
- Cat food
- Rat, Mouse, Slug, and Snail bait
- Disinfectants and bleach
Here are some human foods that are harmful
- Grapes and raisins
- Avocados, onions, garlic
- Chocolate in all forms
- Gum, candy, or foods sweetened with xylitol
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Raw yeast dough
Some objects that you should be sure are up and out of reach
- Buttons and any small hard objects i.e. nails, needles, scissors etc
- Bread twisty ties and plastic wrap
- Balls that are too small, or have a smooth coating
- Cotton swabs, dental floss, string, yarn
- Human hair ties, hair pins and rubber bands
- Ear plugs
Here is a helpful list of supplies that Hunterberry Hill recommends you have on hand in preparation for your puppy
- Comfort & Safety items
- Wire crate – appropriate size 30” minis, 36” mediums, 42” standards
- Crate pad/liner – washable in machine
- Puppy play pen
- Adult collar/harness and leash (we send home puppy/collar/leash)
- ID tag
- Vet approved flea & tick treatment
- Puppy food – Your puppy has been fed the Life Abundance All Life Stage Food. We require you to continue with this food for at least the first 30 days your puppy is in your home. Your puppy will come with a 3 day supply. If you choose to feed a different food after the first 30 days please make the transition gradually as to not upset the digestive system of your puppy.
- Food & water bowls
- Food scoop & storage bin
Necessary Grooming Supplies
- Stainless Grooming Comb (We love the Miracle Coat brush size Small available on Amazon.com)
- Nail clippers
- Ear wash/cleaner
- Blunt edge scissors (for trimming around the eyes)
- Optional – potty box with paper/wood pellets
- Natures Miracle stain and odor remover (for accidents)
- Pooper scooper
- Waste bags for public places
- Paper towels for quick clean ups
Toys & More
- Chew and cuddle toys – squeaky (always a favorite for our dogs), bouncy, soft, some plush, hard chewy like Kong. We suggest buying a variety to start with so you can find out which ones your puppy prefers!
- Fetch toys – tennis balls, jolly ball etc.
- Chew treats – bully sticks, chicken strips, sweet potato chews etc.
- NO RAWHIDES! We have found them dangerous as puppies and dogs will ingest too large of a piece and it may cause an intestinal blockage.
- Bitter Apple is great to help curb puppies bad chewing habits on things they should not chew.
- Find a positive reinforcement trainer to come to your home within the first two weeks and/or to take puppy classes once vet approves puppy to go to puppy classes.
- Here are a few suggested books & videos:
We hope you have fun shopping for puppy and enjoy all the preparations!